RAMS Management Reliability Availability Maintainability Safety
Specify, Optimize and Verify
Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety
RAMS is a process that accompanies system development. It is aimed to prevent failures as early as possible in the planning phase.
Our core business is supporting and advising our customers on all tasks related to the RAMS process as an engineering partner.
The aim of the activities and analyses coordinated within the RAMS management is to avoid follow-up costs in development and later operation and to create the evidence required by customers, legislators and approval authorities.
The fields of work serving this goal include the optimization of reliability, availability, maintainability and safety.
With our experience and expertise, we can optimally help you to manage all the necessary work.
What does the term RAMS stand for?
Reliability ( R )
Ability of an entity to perform a required function under given conditions for a given period of time.
Availability ( A )
Ability of an entity to be in a condition to perform a required function under given conditions and when required, if the necessary external tools are provided.
Maintainability ( M )
Ability of an entity to be maintained or restored, under given conditions of use, to a condition in which it can perform a required function if maintenance is carried out under given conditions using specified procedures and resources.
Safety ( S )
Freedom from any unacceptable risk to people’s health and personal integrity.
Important European RAMS Standards
Mechanical and plant engineering and low-voltage systems
Which typical tasks can we take over to support your projects?
- FMEA or FMECA analysis and facilitation
- RAM studies or RAM demonstration proofs
- Fault tree analysis (FTA)
- MTBF calculation based on accepted standards
- FRACAS analysis and RAM performance monitoring and reporting
- Safety analysis (Hazard log)
- Derivation of functional safety requirements (SIL/PL/FMEDA) and proof of functional safety
- Required system safety validation
- Safety case and RAM demonstration for Rail Systems (EN 50126/EN 50128/50129)
- Specification of RAMS requirements for tenders or contracting
- Maintenance optimization (e.g. RCM analysis)
- Development and implementation of RAMS project and management plan
What activities does RAMS management coordinate over the life cycle?
Concept and Offer Phase
The concept phase is about the development of the corresponding RAMS requirements for hardware and software and the planning of the RAMS activities in the project by the responsible RAMS manager.
This is checked:
- What RAMS activities are required, and who is responsible for them?
- What are the risks in the intended application scenario?
- Which measures are needed to limit the risks?
The results are a preliminary risk analysis (e.g. Preliminary Hazard Analysis), a RAMS Plan and a RAMS Requirement Specification, which can also contain specifications for the required safety integrity (SIL/PL).
During the development and design phase, the RAMS engineers work together with the developers to check whether the RAMS requirements can be met with the selected system design.
To do this:
- The RAM parameters for the individual components and integrates them into the quantitative risk analyzes and defines the avoidance and detection measures for errors the preliminary risk analyzes in depth (e.g. FMEA/FMECA for components) are determined.
- The hardware and software for the safety functions are developed and documented in accordance with the requirements arising from the respective SIL in accordance with the requirements of the functional safety standards (e.g. EN 61508, EN 50129, EN 13849).
- Application conditions and safety instructions are specified for later use.
Production and Installation
This phase is about finalizing the RAMS documents and verifying the implementation of all measures (technology, system documentation) for the acceptance tests.
- Documentation of the implemented measures to avoid errors in the risk analysis
- Completion of the RAM and safety demonstration including validation reports and the associated RAMS management reports for hardware and software
- Completion of the conformity assessment as part of the CE marking
- Proof of maintainability of the system
Operation and Maintenance
RAMS is also an important topic in later operation.
This is about:
- To know the achieved reliability and availability of the system (FRACAS or warranty case or field data evaluation)
- Making decisions on system improvement or maintenance optimization (e.g. via an RCM analysis)
- Evaluate safety relevant incidents and derive appropriate measures in safety management
As a result, the operator or manufacturer is then able to define realistic RAMS requirements for future products or to specify upgrades or product improvements.
Engineering Partner for Manifold Industries
From the initial FMEA analysis for entrepreneur development companies up to multi-year verification of the rail technology in the Swiss Gotthard and Ceneri base tunnel infrastructure projects: We provide support for many application fields.
Thus, our extensive reference portfolio comprises manifold industries and notable big players.
RAMS for Rail System Applications
We have been engaged as RAMS project support partners in a variety of rail industry projects, mainly according to the worldwide applied European standard EN 50126. If you are looking for an engineering partner to support your projects with planning, analysis, verification and validation of the necessary RAMS tasks in all life cycle phases, your project can benefit from our support.